Best marks at english

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Revising stage.

nuhru_1098
    nuhru_1098
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 452
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

The Revising stage. Empty The Revising stage.

Post by nuhru_1098 Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:18 pm

The Revising Stage

No text should be sent out or published without going over it at least once! Twice – even better. You must reread even the shortest business email to prevent any embarrassing mistakes (such as sending the wrong email to the wrong person, to start with). Revising means evaluating your text’s content and making sure you actually wrote what you intended in the planning stage. You may be surprised to hear that revising should take as much time as drafting! Go through the following checklist when revising:

On a global level (text-paragraph), ask yourself:

• Did I actually write on the required topic and used relevant arguments and examples, or digressed inadvertently?

• Is each piece of information relevant to the paragraph it is in? Should I delete certain parts or move them somewhere else in the text? In other words, is your text cohesive and unified around one theme?

• Does each paragraph and sentence logically follow and relate to what’s written before it? Is there enough or too much support to each topic sentence? Change accordingly.

On a local level (sentence-word) ask yourself:

• Did I use suitable connectors to present the logical relations between text segments (cause-effect, general-detail, compare-contrast, chronological order etc.) in order to make the text coherent?

• Did I technically tie ideas together with relevant word choices, apt pronoun reference, and techniques such as parallelism and emphasis?

• Did I diversify sentence types and lengths (from simple to complex, short and concise to long and elaborate)? Consider uniting two consecutive short sentences or dividing a long compound-complex sentence into two shorter ones.

• Did I refrain from no-no’s such as run-ons, fragments, dangling modifiers, wordiness, or inappropriate register? Did I avoid sexist language?

• Did I refrain from repeating the same ideas and words and used a rich and varied vocabulary? Did I use adjectives and adverbs for text enrichment? Did I mainly use my own words?

• Do not attempt showing-off with a fancy word you do not know how to use properly.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:47 pm